Water is a must when temps are soaring, and people are spending more time outside. While we already know that dehydration can induce symptoms akin to a hangover – sluggishness, headaches, crankiness, nausea – new research shows that staying hydrated has another surprising benefit. Drinking water can aid memory, and increase reaction time. The study, published in Frontiers of Human Neuroscience, compared the test performance of two groups of people, one given water, and the other deprived. When tested on memory, attention, learning and reaction-time, the hydrated group received better scores with 14% faster reaction times. So next time you’re feeling out of it in the afternoon, try drinking a tall glass of ice water before you reach for your coffee.
Tag Archives: Water
5 Ways Water is Good for Your Health
I’ll preface this by saying, I drink a lot of water. Ever since I was a little girl, and my mom let me take a pretty water mug with me every where, I have never really been without a water bottle in my purse. While my co-workers may think I’m diabetic because of the number of trips I take to the water cooler daily, I just enjoy being hydrated. Now The Scoop is backing me up with 5 reasons drinking water is awesome (and good for your health).
- Though it’s gross to talk about, new research shows that staying hydrated may keep things regular in your digestive tract even more effectively than that bowl of fiber one with a cup of coffee in the morning.
- Drinking lots of water is associated with losing weight
- Lots of H2O can lower your risk for kidney disease.
- Hydrated runners are faster, safer runners who can maintain their body temperature more regularly and keep their heart rates healthier.
- It can prevent headaches, fatigue, difficulty concentrating and bad moods (hellooo, remember how you feel when you’re hung over?) by staving off the bad symptoms of dehydration.
Additionally, water keeps your body temperature at a steady place, cushions joints, protects your spinal cord, and clears the body of waste through sweating and peeing. Now drink up!