Reminiscent of early Lauryn Hill and Erykah Badu, Lion Babe is the latest artist to creep into my playlist and stay on repeat all day. Have a listen – it will make being back at work after a lovely summer weekend just that much easier.
Treat Me Like Fire
Don’t Break My Heart
Just pretend Q-Tip is singing to you. I *may* have made this my ringtone.
Happy fourth of July everyone! I will be celebrating in Philadelphia, and capping off the 4th by seeing Beyonce and Jay Z perform tomorrow, so in honor of Jay + Bey, and the nation’s independence, here is Queen B’s version of the classic song.
Just listen to Ariana Grande and Iggy Azalea, and don’t do it.
I get to see Beyonce perform with Jay Z during the On the Run tour this summer. I could not BE more excited!!
by: Pharrell Williams
I have 4301 songs on my iPhone. That is enough to play straight through for several days without hearing a repeat song. But somehow, still I get bored with my music selection, and turn to Pandora for inspiration. But what is a girl to do when internet connection isn’t available? In the subway, or particularly when travelling, music is even more important to help me get through the transit. In general I tend to be more of a playlist person than an album person. I like to mix it up with tunes of different musical genres and artists all in one loop. This is why when I am in a music slump, and stuck with only my own library to choose from, I enjoy what I like to call Movie Soundtrack Day. Soundtracks have a natural variety to go with the movie’s emotional ups and downs, and it’s rare to have one of just one artist through and through. When I can’t think of what else to listen to I pull up one of these old favorites, and I am set for a few hours at least. Check one out to match your musical mood.
One Fine Day
- One Fine Day: Natalie Merchant
- The Boy from New York City: The Ad Libs
- For the First Time: Kenny Loggins
- Mama Said: The Shirelles
- Someone Like You: Shawn Colvin
- Love’s Funny That Way: Tina Arena
- Have I Told You Lately: Van Morrison
- The Glory of Love: Keb’ Mo’
- What a Diff’rence a Day made: Tony Bennet
- Isn’t It Romantic?: Ella Fitzgerald
- This Guy’s in Love with You: Harry Connick Jr.
- Just Like You: Keb’ Mo’
- One Fine Day: The Chiffons
Grey’s Anatomy – I know it’s technically a movie, but after 9 seasons, that show has enough drama for one
- Such Great Heights: The Postal Service
- Ruby Blue: Roisin Murphy
- Song Beneath the Song: maria Taylor
- Where Does the Good Go: Tegan and Sara
- Looking at the World from the Bottom of a Well: Mike Doughty
- Wait: Get Set Go
- Could Be Anything: The Eams Era
- Portions for Foxes: Rilo Kiley
- The City: Joe Purdy
- End of the World Party: Medeski, Martin and Wood
- Catch My Disease: Ben Lee
- There’s a Girl: The Ditty Bops
- Whatever Gets You Through Today: Radio
- Fools in Love: Inara George
- Cosy in the Rocket: Psapp
500 Days of Summer Soundtrack
- Us: Regina Spektor
- There is a Light that Never Goes Out: The Smiths
- Bad Kids: Black Lips
- Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I want: The Smiths
- There Goes the Gear: Doves
- You Make My Dreams: Hall and Oates
- Sweet Disposition: The Temper Trap
- Quelqu’un M’a Dit: Carla Bruni
- Mushaboom: Feist
- Hero: Regina Spektor
- Bookends: Simon & Garfunkel
- Vagabond: Wolfmother
- She’s Got You High: Mumm-Ra
- Here Comes Your Man: Meaghan Smith
- Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I want: She and Him
Just remember that it’s the little things like a roof over your head and shoes under your feet that make everything alright.
by: Darius Rucker
I came to love these two gifted girls when I became obsessed with the ACB show Nashville and all of the music in it. I even embarked on this tour of all of the country music venues around NYC. Then I was talking about Lennon and Maisy Stella’s version of the Lumineer’s Ho Hey, and I realized that most people have not had the pleasure of hearing your music. They do covers like no other. So, here you are!
Ho Hey: Lumineers Cover
Call your girlfriend: Robyn Cover
I Won’t Give Up: Jason Mraz Cover
Unless you really want to know. Don’t you kind of love how he hops after every line?
Delta Rae: What’chu Thinking ‘Bout Babe