You’re cranky. EVERYTHING is pissing you off: the lady on the subway sleeping when you want to be sitting + reading a magazine, the chipper guy in front of you in line at Starbucks, the sunshine that is SO BRIGHT its hurting your eyes. We all have those days, where no matter what happens its not going to turn your mood around.
When I have days like that, I need a little perspective to put my problems back into a normal scale. Here are some things you can try:
- Follow Oprah’s advice:
- Make a list of things you’re grateful for in your life
- That includes little things like warm socks
- That includes big stuff like an awesome sister
- Google the median income of the place you live
- In the U.S., it’s around $45,000
- Chances are you don’t know how well off you really are
- Download the Thankful For app to your smart phone
- Read some quotes
- View the public timeline
- Go grab a glass of water from that tap.
- Did you know that 884 million people (about 3x the population of the U.S.) can’t do that?
- Because they don’t have access to clean water?
- Use the restroom and flush the toilet.
- 2.5 billion people don’t have access to hygenic public sanitation systems
- More people have a mobile phone than have a toilet
If you’re reading this, it means you’re part of the roughly 30% of the world population with access to the internet. Now don’t you’re problems seem a little smaller?